Academic Calendar

General Academic Regulations


This chapter contains the regulations and requirements that apply to all students, regardless of faculty or school.

Each faculty and school has its own supplementary regulations and requirements. These are published in the faculty or school chapters of the Academic Calendar. Some faculties and schools also have additional regulations and requirements governing their programs; these are available from the faculty or school.

It is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with the academic regulations and requirements of the University of Manitoba in general and of the specific academic regulations and requirements of their faculty or school of registration. Accordingly, students are asked to seek the advice of advisors in faculty and school general offices whenever there is any question concerning how specific regulations apply to their situations.

Residence and Written English and Mathematics Requirements

Residence Requirements For Graduation

Each faculty and school recommends to the Senate the number of credit hours each student must complete in order to graduate from its programs. Senate also requires each student to complete a minimum number of credit hours at the University of Manitoba -- this is called the “residence requirement.”

Unless otherwise stated in faculty and school chapters, the minimum residence requirement of the University of Manitoba is the work normally associated with one year in the case of programs of three years’ duration, and two years for programs of four years’ duration. Some faculties and schools may have additional residence requirements specified in their program regulations. However, in all cases, the residence requirement is assessed following an appraisal of the educational record of the student applying to transfer credits from another institution or applying to earn credits elsewhere on a letter of permission. The residence requirement is not reduced for students whose “challenge for credit” results in a passing grade.

University English and Mathematics Requirements for Undergraduate Students

All students are required to complete, within the first 60 credit hours of their programs, a minimum of one three credit hour course with significant content in written English, and a minimum of one three credit hour course with significant content in mathematics.

Some degree programs have designated specific written English and mathematics courses to fulfil this requirement.

Price Faculty of Engineering have their own written English requirements.

Some degree programs require that the written English and/or mathematics requirements be completed prior to admission.

See the program descriptions in the faculty and school chapters of the Academic Calendar for details.

Exemptions to the Written English and Mathematics Requirement

  • All students with completed baccalaureate degrees and who transfer into any program to which these requirements apply.
  • Registered Nurses entering the Bachelor of Nursing Program for Registered Nurses.
  • Students admitted before the 1997-98 Regular Session.
  • Written English exemption only: Students transferring from Université de Saint-Boniface who have completed a written French requirement (at the university) before transferring to the University of Manitoba will be deemed to have met the written English requirement.

Approved English and Mathematics Courses

A complete list of all courses which satisfy the university written English and mathematics requirement is provided below. (When searching for courses in Aurora, students may search Course Attributes for courses that satisfy the written English and Mathematics requirements).

Note that some programs may restrict the choice of English or Mathematics courses. See the program descriptions in the faculty and school chapters of the Academic Calendar for details.

Written English Courses

Course Title Hours
AGRI 2030Technical Communications3
ANTH 15203
ANTH 2020Relatedness in a Globalizing World3
ANTH 33303
ARTS 1110Introduction to University3
ASIA 1420Asian Civilizations to 1500 (B)3
ASIA 1430Asian Civilization from 1500 (B)3
CATH 1190Introduction to Catholic Studies3
CATH 2010Literature and Catholic Culture 13
CATH 2020Literature and Catholic Culture 23
CLAS 2612Greek Literature in Translation3
CLAS 2622Latin Literature in Translation3
ENGL 0930English Composition3
ENGL 0940Writing About Literature3
ENGL 1XXX All English courses at the 1000 level
ENGL 2XXX All English courses at the 2000 level
ENGL 3XXX All English courses at the 3000 level
ENGL 4XXX All English courses at the 4000 level
ENVR 2810Environmental Critical Thinking and Scientific Research3
FAAH 2930Writing about Art3
FILM 2280Film and Literature6
FORS 2000Introductory Forensic Science3
GEOG 2900Geography of Canadian Prairie Landscapes (A)3
GEOL 3130Communication Methods in the Geological Sciences3
GMGT 1010Business and Society3
GMGT 2010Business Communications3
GPE 2700Perspectives on Global Political Economy3
GRMN 1300Masterpieces of German Literature in English Translation (C)3
GRMN 1310Love in German Culture in English Translation (C)3
GRMN 2120Introduction to German Culture from 1918 to the Present (C)3
GRMN 2130Introduction to German Culture from the Beginnings to 1918 (C)3
GRMN 2500Special Topics in German in English Translation (C)3
GRMN 2510German Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm to Hollywood (C)3
GRMN 2520Spies: Stories of Secret Agents, Treason, and Surveillance (C)3
GRMN 2530My Friend the Tree: Environment and Ecology in German Culture in English Translation (C)3
GRMN 3262Representations of the Holocaust in English Translation (C)3
GRMN 3270Studies in Contemporary German Cinema (C)3
GRMN 3282Sex, Gender and Cultural Politics in the German-Speaking World in English Translation (C)3
GRMN 3390German Representations of War (C)3
GRMN 3510Special Topics in German in English Translation (C)3
GRMN 3530Special Topics in Comparative German and Slavic Studies (C)3
HIST 1XXX All History courses at 1000 level
HIST 2XXX All History courses at 2000 level
HNSC 2000Research Methods and Presentation3
HYGN 1340Communications2
INDG 2020The Métis in Canada3
INDG 2110Introduction to Indigenous Community Development3
INDG 2530Introduction to Indigenous Theory3
KPER 2120Academic Skills in Kinesiology and Recreation Management3
LABR 1260Working for a Living3
LABR 1290Labour Unions and Workers' Rights in Canada3
LABR 2200Labour History: Canada and Beyond (C)3
LABR 2300Workers, Employers and the State3
LABR 4510Labour Studies Field Placement Seminar3
LAW 1540Legal Methods5
LAW 2650Introduction to Advocacy3
LING 2740Interpretation Theory3
PHIL 2612A Philosophical History of Science3
PHIL 2614Philosophy of Science3
PHIL 2790Moral Philosophy6
PHIL 3220Feminist Philosophy3
POL 1900Love, Heroes and Patriotism in Contemporary Poland3
POL 2600Polish Culture until 19183
POL 2610Polish Culture 1918 to the Present3
POL 2660Special Topics in Polish Literature and Culture3
POLS 1502Introduction to Political Studies3
PSYC 2500Elements of Ethology3
PSYC 3380Nature, Nurture and Behaviour3
PSYC 4520Honours Research Seminar6
RLGN 1440Evil in World Religions3
RLGN 2032Introduction to the Study of Religion3
RLGN 2036Introduction to Christianity3
RLGN 2052Conservative Christianity in the United States3
RLGN 2112Medicine, Magic, and Miracle in the Ancient World3
RLGN 2116Cognitive Science and Religion3
RLGN 2140Introduction to Judaism3
RLGN 2160Hebrew Bible (Tanakh/"Old Testament")3
RLGN 2162Great Jewish Books3
RLGN 2170Introduction to the New Testament3
RLGN 2222The Supernatural in Popular Culture3
RLGN 2590Religion and Social Issues3
RLGN 2770Contemporary Judaism3
RLGN 3102Myth and Mythmaking: Narrative, Ideology, Scholarship3
RLGN 3280Hasidism3
RUSN 1400Masterpieces of Russian Literature in Translation3
RUSN 1410Love in Russian Culture in English Translation3
RUSN 2280Russian Culture until 19003
RUSN 2290Russian Culture from 1900 to the Present3
RUSN 2310Exploring Russia through Film3
RUSN 2410Russian Literature after Stalin3
RUSN 2600Special Topics in Russian Culture in English Translation3
RUSN 2740Literature and Revolution3
RUSN 3770Tolstoy3
SLAV 3530Special Topics in Comparative German and Slavic Studies3
SOC 3100Practicum in Criminological/Sociological Research6
SOC 3350Feminism and Sociological Theory3
UKRN 2200Ukrainian Myth, Rites and Rituals3
UKRN 2410Ukrainian Canadian Cultural Experience3
UKRN 2590Ukrainian Literature and Film3
UKRN 2600Special Topics in Ukrainian Studies3
UKRN 2770Ukrainian Culture until 19003
UKRN 2780Ukrainian Culture from 1900 to the Present3
UKRN 2820Holodomor and Holocaust in Ukrainian Literature and Culture3
UKRN 3970Women and Ukrainian Literature3
WOMN 1500Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies in the Humanities3
WOMN 1600Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies in the Social Sciences3
WOMN 2560Women, Science and Technology3
WOMN 3520Transnational Feminisms3

Mathematics Courses

Course Title Hours
AGRI 2400Experimental Methods in Agricultural and Food Sciences3
ECON 2040Quantitative Methods in Economics3
FA 1020Mathematics in Art3
GEOG 3810Quantitative Research Methods in Geography (TS)3
MATH 1XXX All Mathematics courses at 1000 level
MATH 2XXX All Mathematics at 2000 level
MATH 3XXX All Mathematics at 3000 level
MATH 4XXX All Mathematics at 4000 level
MUSC 3230Acoustics of Music3
PHIL 1300Introduction to Logic3
PHIL 2200Intermediate Logic3
PHYS 1020General Physics 13
PHYS 1030General Physics 23
PSYC 2260Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology3
SOC 2294Understanding Social Statistics3
STAT 1XXX All Statistics courses at 1000 level
STAT 2XXX All Statistics courses at 2000 level
STAT 3XXX All Statistics courses at 3000 level
STAT 4XXX All Statistics courses at 4000 level

Course Identification

Credit Hours (Cr.Hrs.)

Each faculty and school develops courses for its degree credit programs, subject to Senate approval, and assigns a credit hour value to each course.

The credit hours for a course are expressed as a number associated with the course which indicates its relative weight. There is a correlation between class hours and credit hours (i.e. 6 credit hours = 3 hours a week, two terms; and 3 credit hours = 3 hours a week, one term).

For the purposes of registration, courses taught over both the Fall and Winter Terms have been divided into two parts. The credit hour value of the course are divided equally and applied to each part of the course. For example: for a six credit hour spanned course each of the Fall and Winter Term parts of the course will be assigned the value of three credit hours. Students registering for term spanning courses will receive one grade for the course and only when the second part is completed. The course grade will be applied to both the Fall and Winter parts of the course.

Prerequisite and Co-requisite Courses

Prerequisite: If a course is prerequisite for a second course, the prerequisite must be met in order to begin the second course. To determine whether or not a course has a prerequisite, see the course descriptions in the chapter of the faculty or school offering the course. Normally, a minimum grade of “C” is required in all courses listed as prerequisites, except as otherwise noted in the course descriptions.

For some courses, the prerequisite may be completed before registering for the second course or may be taken concurrently with the second course. To determine if a course may be taken concurrently, see the course descriptions in the chapter of the faculty or school offering the course.

Co-requisite: If a first course is a co-requisite for a second course, the first course must be completed in the same term as the second course. To determine if a course has a co-requisite, see the course descriptions in the chapter of the faculty or school offering the course.

Course Numbers

First Two to Four Characters

The two, three or four characters in every course number are a shortened version of the subject of the course.

Last Four Digits

At the University of Manitoba the last four digits of the course number reflect the level of contact with the subject.

For example:
ECON 1210

ECON is the code for Economics.

1210 indicates that it is an introductory or entry level course.

If the course requires a laboratory, this will be shown following the credit hours immediately following the title.
For example:
BIOL 3242 (lab required)

The 2000, 3000, 4000 course numbers indicate the second, third, and fourth levels of university contact with a subject.

Numbers in the 5000 range are normally associated with pre-Master’s work or courses in the Post Baccalaureate Diploma and the Post-Graduate Medical Education programs.

Courses numbered 6000-8000 are graduate courses of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

Course numbers in the 9000 series are used to identify courses taken at the University of Winnipeg by students in the University of Manitoba/University of Winnipeg Joint Master’s Programs. The 9000 numbers do not indicate the level of the course taken (see Graduate Calendar or University of Winnipeg Calendar).

In most cases, some correlation exists between the course number and a student's year of study; that is, students in the third year of a program will generally carry course loads comprised primarily of 3000-level courses.

Other course numbering information

Courses with numbers that end in 0 or an even number are taught in English, most of which are offered on the Fort Garry or Bannatyne campuses or through Distance and Online Education.

Courses with numbers that end in odd numbers are taught in French at Université de Saint-Boniface.

Grades and Grade Point Average Calculation


Final grades in most courses are expressed as letters, ranging from F, to A+ the highest. A grade of D is the lowest passing grade, however the minimum grade required to use a course as credit toward a degree or diploma program may be set higher by a faculty or school. Refer to faculty and school regulations. Each letter grade has an assigned numerical value which is used to calculate grade point averages.  Grading scales used to determine the final letter grade may vary between courses and programs.

Some courses are graded on a pass/fail basis and because no numerical value is assigned to these courses, they do not affect grade point averages. Courses graded in this way are clearly identified in course descriptions and program outlines.

The Letter Grade System

Letter Grade Grade Point Value Description
A+ 4.5 Exceptional
A 4.0 Excellent
B+ 3.5 Very Good
B 3.0 Good
C+ 2.5 Satisfactory
C 2.0 Adequate
D 1.0 Marginal
F 0 Failure
P Pass
S Standing

The grade of “D” is regarded as marginal in most courses by all faculties and schools. It contributes to decreasing a term, degree or cumulative Grade Point Average to less than 2.0. Courses graded “D” may be repeated for the purpose of improving a GPA. Note that some faculties and schools consider a grade of “D” as unacceptable and will not apply the course toward the program as credit. In most cases the course will need to be repeated to attain the acceptable grade. Refer to faculty and school regulations.

Calculation of Grade Point Average

The University of Manitoba will report cumulative and term grade point averages for all students through Aurora Student.
Please also refer to the Grade Point Averages Policy found in the University Policies and Procedures..

Quality Points

The quality points for a course are the product of the credit hours for the course and the grade point obtained by the student; e.g., 3 credit hours with a grade of “B” (3.0 points) = 3 credit hours x 3.0 = 9.0 quality points.

Quality Point Total

The quality point total is the sum of quality points accumulated as students proceed through their program of studies.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The grade point average (GPA) is the quality point total divided by the total number of credit hours.


Course Credit Hours Grade Grade Points Quality Points
Course 1 3 B 3 9
Course 2 3 B+ 3.5 10.5
Course 3 3 C+ 2.5 7.5
Course 4 3 B 3 9
Course 5 3 A 4 12
Totals 15 48

Grade point average: 240 Quality Points / 15 Credit Hours = 3.20

Poor Grades and Program Progression

A course in which a “D” standing is obtained may need to be repeated by probationary students in certain faculties or where a minimum grade of “C” is required in a prerequisite subject or to meet degree requirements.

Students in doubt as to the status of their record should consult an advisor in their faculty or school.

For minimum grade levels, especially as they affect progression requirements, see the faculty or school regulations in the Academic Calendar or consult an advisor.

Academic Honours

Students qualify for the Honour List (Dean’s, Director’s, University 1) when they achieve qualifying grade point averages, as specified by the faculty/school or program regulations.

In addition, outstanding academic achievement will qualify students for other honours and awards.  These include:

  • the University Gold Medal, which is awarded at graduation in each faculty or school to the student with the most outstanding academic record;
  • program medals, which are awarded by faculties and schools to the best student graduating from a specific program;
  • graduation “with distinction”, which is recorded on the transcripts of all students who attain a qualifying grade point average;
  • and other medals and prizes that are specific to programs or disciplines.

Academic Evaluation

Methods of Evaluation

Students shall be informed of the method of evaluation to be used in each course, as specified in the Responsibilities of Academic Staff with Regard to Students Policy, found in the University Policies and Procedures.

In departments where a course is offered in more than one section, the department offering the course endeavours to provide instruction so that all sections cover similar topics and that all students achieve a similar level of competency in the topic. However, there will be differences in evaluation as well as in teaching style, readings and assignments from one section to another. Students may contact the department for additional information before registration.

Credit for Term Work

In subjects involving written examinations, laboratories, and term assignments, a student may be required to pass each component separately. If no final examination is scheduled in a course, the student’s final grade will be determined on the basis of the method of evaluation as announced in the first week of lectures.

If credit is not given for term work, the student’s final grade will be determined entirely by the results of the final written examination. Where the final grade is determined from the results of both term work and final examinations, the method of computing the final grade will be as announced within the first week of classes. Should a student write a deferred examination, term grades earned will normally be taken into account as set out in the immediately preceding paragraph.

Repeating a Course

A course in which a “D” standing is obtained may need to be repeated by probationary students in certain faculties or where a minimum grade of “C” is required in a prerequisite subject or to meet degree requirements.

Elective courses graded “F” may either be repeated or another elective substituted. All electives in a program must be approved by the faculty or school.

Probation and Academic Suspension

Failure to meet minimum levels of performance as specified in the regulations of the faculty or school will result in a student being placed either on probation or academic suspension in accordance with the faculty or school regulations.

A student’s status is determined, following final examinations, at the end of each term (Fall, Winter or Summer terms) or at the end of an academic session as specified in faculty regulations. A student placed on probation is advised to discuss his/her program prior to the next registration with a representative of the dean or director to determine which courses, if any, should be repeated.

A student placed on academic suspension will normally be permitted to apply for re-entry to the faculty or school after one year has elapsed, but reinstatement is not automatic and individual faculty or school regulations must always be consulted.

While on suspension, students are not normally admissible to another faculty or school.

Other Forms of Earning Degree Credit

Letter of Permission for Transfer of Credit

Students in degree programs at this university may take courses at other recognized colleges or universities for transfer of credit provided such courses are approved at least one month prior to the commencement of classes at the other institution by the faculty or school in which they are currently registered. The approval is subject to individual faculty/school regulations and is granted in the form of a Letter of Permission. The student must obtain a Letter of Permission whether or not the course/s being taken are for transfer of credit to the University of Manitoba. Failure to obtain a Letter of Permission may have serious academic implications.

To obtain a Letter of Permission, application must be made to the Registrar’s Office as early as possible and at least one month prior to when required at the other institution.

Each application must be accompanied by the appropriate fee. The fees are for each application and a separate application is required for each session and institution regardless of the number of courses being considered. Students planning to seek permission to take courses elsewhere for transfer of credit to the University of Manitoba are cautioned to check the current Academic Calendar for the residence and degree requirements of the degree programs in which they are enrolled.

Transferred courses will be given assigned credit hour values and grades. The transferred grade will be included in the student's degree and cumulative GPA.

Challenge for Credit

The purpose of Challenge for Credit is to provide students of the university with some means of obtaining academic credit in University of Manitoba courses (not otherwise obtainable as a transfer of credit from other institutions) for practical training and experience, or reading and study previously completed. Students who have registered to challenge would normally not attend classes or laboratories. Courses which have previously been taken at the University of Manitoba may not be challenged for credit.

To be eligible to challenge for credit a student must first be admitted to a faculty or school of the University of Manitoba. Eligible students will be required to demonstrate their competence in the courses which they are challenging for credit. Where formal, written examinations are required, these will be generally scheduled during the regular examination sessions in April/May, June, August, or December.

For information regarding requirements, procedures, applications and fees a student should contact the office of the faculty or school in which the student is enrolled, or in the case of new students, the faculty or school to which the new student has been admitted.

Application of Course Credit when transferring between Programs within the University of Manitoba

When students transfer into program from another faculty or school within the University of Manitoba, some course credits previously earned may be applied to the new program. The credit hour value assigned by the faculty or school that offers the course is used. That is, there can only be one credit weight designated for a course with a particular course number.

Academic Appeals

With the exception of decisions on admissions or disciplinary matters, all academic appeals from decisions of faculty or school appeals committees at the University of Manitoba or by the Comiteé d’appels at Université de Saint-Boniface shall be heard by the Senate Appeals Committee regardless of the institute of registration of the student concerned.

The complete terms of reference for the Senate Committee on Appeals as well as an Appeal Form may be obtained from the Office of the University Secretary, 312 Administration Building or Student Advocacy/Student Resource Services, 519 University Centre.

Academic Integrity

The University of Manitoba takes academic integrity seriously. As a member of the International Centre for Academic Integrity, the University defines academic integrity as a commitment to six fundamental values: honesty, trust, fairness, respect, responsibility and courage. (International Centre for Academic Integrity, 2014)

To help students understand the expectations of the University of Manitoba, definitions for the types of prohibited behaviours are in the Student Academic Misconduct Procedure and provided below.

"Academic Misconduct" means any conduct that has, or might reasonably be seen to have, an adverse effect on the academic integrity of the University, including but not limited to:

(a) Plagiarism – the presentation or use of information, ideas, images, sentences, findings, etc. as one’s own without appropriate attribution in a written assignment, test or final examination.

(b) Cheating on Quizzes, Tests, or Final Examinations – the circumventing of fair testing procedures or contravention of exam regulations. Such acts may be premeditated/planned or may be unintentional or opportunistic.

(c) Inappropriate Collaboration – when a student and any other person work together on assignments, projects, tests, labs or other work unless authorized by the course instructor.

(d) Duplicate Submission – cheating where a student submits a paper/assignment/test in full or in part, for more than one course without the permission of the course instructor.

(e) Personation – writing an assignment, lab, test, or examination for another student, or the unauthorized use of another person’s signature or identification in order to impersonate someone else. Personation includes both the personator and the person initiating the personation.

(f) Academic Fraud – falsification of data or official documents as well as the falsification of medical or compassionate circumstances/documentation to gain accommodations to complete assignments, tests or examinations.

Note that the above applies to written, visual, and spatial assignments as well as oral presentations.

Over the course of your university studies, you may find yourself in situations that can make the application of these definitions unclear. The University of Manitoba wants to help you be successful, and this includes providing you with the knowledge and tools to support your decisions to act with integrity. There are a number of people and places on campus that will help you understand the rules and how they apply to your academic work. If you have questions or are uncertain about what is expected of you in your courses, you have several options:

  • Ask your professor, instructor, or teaching assistant for assistance or clarification.
  • Get support from the Academic Learning Centre or Libraries:
  • Visit the Academic Integrity site for information and tools to help you understand academic integrity.
  • Make an appointment with the Student Advocacy office. This office assists students to understand their rights and responsibilities and provides support to students who have received an allegation of academic misconduct.

Appeals of Grades

Appeal of Term Work

Students may formally appeal a grade received for term work provided that the matter has been discussed with the instructor in the first instance in an attempt to resolve the issue without the need of formal appeal. Term work grades normally may be appealed up to ten (10) working days after the grades for the term work have been made available to the student.

The fee which is charged for each appealed term work grade will be refunded for any grade which is changed as a result of the appeal.

Appeal of Final Grades

Final grades are not released to students who are on “Hold Status”; the deadline for appeal of assigned grades will not be extended for students who were unable to access their final grades due to a hold.

These regulations expand on the Final Grades Procedures found in the University Policies and Procedures.

Attendance and Withdrawal

Attendance at Class and Debarment

Regular attendance is expected of all students in all courses.

An instructor may initiate procedures to debar a student from attending classes and from final examinations and/or from receiving credit where unexcused absences exceed those permitted by the faculty or school regulations.

A student may be debarred from class, laboratories, and examinations by action of the dean/director for persistent non-attendance, failure to produce assignments to the satisfaction of the instructor, and/or unsafe clinical practice or practicum. Students so debarred will have failed that course.

Withdrawal from Courses and Programs

Voluntary Withdrawal

The registration revision period extends two weeks from the first day of classes in both Fall and Winter terms. Courses dropped during this period shall not be regarded as withdrawals and shall not be recorded on official transcripts or student histories. The revision period is prorated for Summer terms and for parts of term.

After the registration revision period ends, voluntary withdrawals (VWs) will be recorded on official transcripts and student histories.

The following dates are deadlines for voluntary withdrawals:

  • The Voluntary Withdrawal deadline shall be the 48th teaching day in both Fall and Winter term for those half-courses taught over the whole of each term;
  • The Voluntary Withdrawal deadline for full-courses taught over both Fall and Winter term shall be the 48th teaching day of the Winter term; and
  • The Voluntary Withdrawal deadline for full-and-half courses taught during Summer terms or during some other special schedule shall be calculated in a similar manner using a pro-rated number of teaching days.

The exact Voluntary Withdrawal dates that apply to courses offered in the current academic session are published in the Academic Schedule.

Authorized Withdrawal

Subject to the provision of satisfactory documentation to the faculty of registration, Authorized Withdrawals (AWs) may be permitted on medical or compassionate grounds.

Required Withdrawal from Professional Programs

Senate, at the request of some faculties and schools, has approved bylaws granting them the authority to require a student to withdraw on the basis of unsuitability for the practice of the profession to which the program of study leads.

This right may be exercised at any time throughout the academic year or following the results of examinations at the end of every year.

This right to require a student to withdraw prevails notwithstanding any other provisions in the academic regulations of the particular faculty or school regarding eligibility to proceed or repeat.

Where Senate has approved such a bylaw, that fact is indicated in the Academic Calendar chapter for that faculty or school. A copy of the professional unsuitability bylaw may be obtained from the general office of the faculty or school.

Deferred and Supplemental Examinations

These regulations expand on the Deferred and Supplemental Examinations Procedures found in the University Policies and Procedures.

Accepting Standing in Course without Examination

In the event that a student is unable to write a deferred examination as it has been scheduled, a grade may be assigned without examination (please refer to the Deferred and Supplemental Examinations Procedures). A student who accepts standing in a course without examination may not, at a later date, request permission to write a deferred examination in the course.

Supplemental Examinations

Supplemental Examinations are offered by some faculties to students who have not achieved the minimum result in required courses.

Students who are granted supplemental privileges are normally required to sit the examination within thirty (30) working days from the end of the examination series in which the supplemental grade was received, unless the progression rules of a faculty or school require the successful completion of an entire academic year before a student is eligible to proceed into the next. In this case, students are obliged to sit the examination at the next ensuing examination period.

Final Examinations

These regulations expand on the Final Examinations and Final Grades Policy and Procedures found in the University Policies and Procedures.

General Examination Regulations

Students (with the exception of students auditing courses) are required to write all final examinations. Those who absent themselves without an acceptable reason will receive a grade classification of “NP” (No Paper) accompanied by a letter grade based on term work completed, using a zero value for incomplete term work and for the final examination. If no credit for term work is involved, a grade of “F” will be assigned. Under certain conditions a student may apply for a deferred examination; see Deferred and Supplemental Examinations.

Examination Schedules

For most faculties, schools and colleges, final examinations are normally conducted in December for Fall Term courses; in April/May for Winter Term and Fall/Winter Term spanned courses; and in August for Distance and Online Education Summer Term courses. Exact dates for the exam period can be found in the Academic Schedule.

The Schedule of Final Exams for Fall and Winter is made available by the Registrar’s Office approximately one month after the beginning of the term. This schedule is made available on the Registrar’s Office Website and includes finalized dates and times for each exam.  Exam locations are added to the schedule at a later date. Summer Term courses, final exam details will be made available at the time of registration.

Students must remain available until all examination and test obligations have been fulfilled.  Travel plans are not an acceptable reason for missing an exam.

Examination Personations

A student who arranges for another individual to undertake or write any nature of examination for and on his/her behalf, as well as the individual who undertakes or writes the examination, will be subject to discipline under the university’s Student Discipline Bylaw, which could lead to suspension or expulsion from the university. In addition, the Canadian Criminal Code treats the personation of a candidate at a competitive or qualifying examination held at a university as an offence punishable by summary conviction.

Hold Status

More details about being on Hold can be found online on the Registrar's Office website.

Students will be placed on "Hold Status" if they incur any type of outstanding obligation (either financial or otherwise) to the university or its associated faculties, schools, colleges or administrative units.

Some typical reasons for holds are:

  • Program/course selection must be approved
  • U1 student must transit into the Faculty of Arts or Science
  • Required Major, Minor and/or Concentration declaration
  • Transcripts or documents required from other institutions
  • Unpaid tuition and/or other university fees
  • Outstanding library books and/or fines
  • Parking fines
  • Pending disciplinary action

Depending on the reason for the hold, limited or no administrative or academic services will be provided to students on Hold Status until the specific obligations have been met.

Students must clear their holds prior to registration by contacting the appropriate office.  Students with outstanding financial obligations to the university will not be permitted to register again until the hold has been cleared or permission to register has been obtained from the Office of the Vice-President (Administration).

Advisor and Program Holds

Students enroled in some programs are required to discuss their course selections and program status with an advisor prior to registration. Advisor and Program Holds normally only restrict registration activity; other administrative services remain available.

Students can verify whether their program requires consultation with an advisor by checking their faculty/school section of the Academic Calendar, or by viewing their Registration Time and Status in Aurora.

Graduation and Convocation


Students may graduate from the University of Manitoba in May/June, October, and February of each year. (Convocation ceremonies are held in May/June and October only).

Students are eligible to graduate when they have completed all of the requirements for their degree program in accordance with the regulations described in the chapter General Academic Regulations and the regulations available from the general offices of their faculties and schools.

It is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with the graduation requirements of the program in which they are enrolled. Consultation with academic advisors is advised to ensure that graduation requirements are met.

Please refer to the Registrar’s Office website for Frequently asked Questions about Graduation and Convocation.

Application for Graduation

Every candidate for a degree, diploma or certificate must make formal application at the beginning of the session in which he/she expects to complete graduation requirements.

Application is to be made through Aurora Student. (Log into Aurora Student; click Enrolment and Academic Records, then Declarations, then Declare Graduation Date.)

Changing a Graduation Date

If you need to change your graduation date after you have made your declaration, you must contact the general office of your faculty, college, or school as soon as possible.

Receipt of Information about Graduation

After you have declared your graduation, you will be sent a series of e-mails to your University e-mail account, requesting you to verify your full legal name, asking you about your attendance at convocation, providing convocation information, and so on. It is imperative that you activate your University of Manitoba email account and check it regularly.


Convocation ceremonies are held in May/June and October of each year.

February graduates are invited to attend the May/June ceremonies.

Graduating students are encouraged to attend with their families and friends because it is the one ceremonial occasion that marks the successful conclusion of their program of studies.

Graduates who wish to attend Convocation, verify their attendance at the Convocation ceremony by reserving their academic attire through the University approved supplier.

Students who, for any reason, do not attend Convocation will receive their degrees in absentia.

The Registrar’s Office will hold unclaimed parchments for a maximum of twelve months after graduation when any unclaimed parchments will be destroyed. These will include those not given at Convocation, those that were to be picked up in person but not claimed, those that were mailed but returned to the Registrar’s Office by the postal outlet or courier depot, those that were not issued due to a financial hold on a student’s records, and those that were reprinted immediately after convocation due to corrections.

It is critical that you update your address, phone number and email through Aurora whenever changes occur. Note that any changes made with the Alumni Association are not reflected in your University of Manitoba student records.

If you do not receive your parchment, it is your responsibility to follow up with the Registrar’s Office within a twelve-month period. Any requests for parchments after this time will be processed as replacements; there is a fee charged for replacement parchments.

Academic Dress

Students are responsible for making arrangements to reserve their academic attire through the University approved supplier. Rental fees apply. Details will be provided via e-mail once Convocation planning begins.

Convocation Information

Information on Convocation may be found on the Graduation/Convocation website.

Personal Information

Mailing Address

In order to receive University mail, it is essential that you to provide the Registrar’s Office with your current address. All mail will be directed to the address you provide. You may change your mailing address and phone number by accessing Aurora Student and then selecting Personal Information.

Change of Name

If you have changed your name since you were first admitted or if the name on your record is incomplete or inaccurate, official evidence of the name change or correction must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office along with a completed Request for Change of Name form. The University of Manitoba uses your full legal name on its records, transcripts, and graduation documents (a full legal name, for example, includes all names on your birth certificate - first, middle, and last - or on your study permit). Abbreviated names, Anglicized names, or initials should not be used unless they have been proven with appropriate documentation.